Monday, February 02, 2009

On lacking motivation or will power

Well friends, I hate to say it, but I'm lazy. I love sitting back and watching movies. I love playing games online. I love reading books. I love knitting. I love sleeping.

All this combines to make my life way to sedentary. On top of being away from my girls, sitting in class for hours on end, and HAVING to read for those classes, I'm not active. I'm just not active enough. So no matter how good I can eat, I'm still not healthy. I loved what I heard in a Weight Watchers class once - just try doing a few small things to be more active. Park farther away and walk. Get UP to change the channel. Etc.

So today, during our class break, I walked around the third floor instead of sitting/standing talking near the room. It was nice. Of course, this is after laying around all afternoon (hey, its MONDAY).

Ah, well. Jen, KJ, and I are all getting 3 month gym memberships. This will hopefully motivate me to go. I generally enjoy being active. I just hate that you have to wear different clothes. Then I don't enjoy sweating (apart from the fact that sometimes it is a little badass to be sweating BECAUSE you just ran for an hour or something fabulously fit like that). I also get very self aware. I don't really care that people are watching me. It's not that. It's that I notice that ONE hair that has fallen in my eye... or that my left pant leg is somehow partially tucked under my shoe... or that my ear itches... or that I have a sweat bead rolling down the middle of my back.

I NOTICE IT ALL. So basically, I need to find a way to distract myself. Music helps - to a point (then I notice the headphones or have to find the perfect music....). TV helps - unless it isn't something that interests me.

Any thoughts? Useful motivational tactics for getting me out of bed in the morning (since I only have ONE day where I have to be up early)? Encouragement?

I know at some point... I just have to learn to live with myself the way I am instead of reaching for some better self all the time. But I'd like the self I accept to at least be a LITTLE healthier. Just a tad? Please?

3 comments:

Nikki said...

Unfortunately, I have no advice, but I am also in need of all the same things, except I also need a work out buddy.

I read KJ the first time and heard our KJ. Just sharing!

Courtney Leigh said...

Alison - I say there is nothing at ALL wrong with reaching for a better self! I mean isn't that what we do as healthy, educated people? We should always look for ways to better ourselves.

Now that doesn't mean that we shouldn't appreciate what we are right now, but if we see ways we could be better...why not?

Now my suggestion, have you tried classes? I LOVE exercise classes and often find that they go faster than just the hour I put in on the bike and elliptical. You have to pay attention to the instructor, so it seems less likely that you'll get distracted by other things.

Keep warm in Chicago. I'll be enjoying 70 degree weather here in Louisiana this weekend. ;)

Hugs,
Courtney

Anonymous said...

Hey Alison! Your Dad gave me your blog address so you can blame him for my snooping :) Just wanted to let you know that once you get the guitar down, you will be able to play with nails. I know many male artist who get fake nails for better finger picking :) So there is hope of future long nails with playing the guitar!