Saturday, November 15, 2008

Lemons are not RED... the background of the blog title

Many people ask and I always forget to post the answer. So here it is, once and for all.

Why is my blog titled Lemons are not Red?

It all started in DC, actually. I had just set up this blog and was avidly searching for a name. TN to Chicago was the actual site address. That'd work.... But I wanted something more. Something that had to do with life. Something that had to do with me, would, of course be nice.

So Kels and I are winding down from a day of museum tours. As we are riding the escalator down from... the... uh... museum who has a name I've forgotten, I see into the book store and my eyes are caught. On the top shelf with the children's books I see this:


What a fabulous title! I wonder what it's about? Don't you? So I delightfully skip into the bookstore and pull this book off the shelf. Let me preface this by saying that I like to collect children's books. I've always loved them. My dad brought me back Bon Soir La Lune (french for Goodnight Moon) from his bike ride in France and I realized that I could collect books from places I visited. Useful souveniers! (Eventually.) I picked up a beautiful Cinderella book from the Alabama Shakespeare Festival back in highschoool and a beautiful Austrian children's book from a local artist in Vienna, and others along the way. It's fun.

So "Lemons Are Not Red" is a kid's book. The first page says "Lemons are not red..." and there is a cut out of a lemon shape that has a red background. So you turn the page and it says "Lemons are yellow!" And it has the proper yellow background because you've turned the page. It goes on like this saying that "Elephants are not blue... elephants are gray." Etc. It is fabulous.

So it became my blog title. That and I think I appreciate the RED part of it... being a red head and slightly obsessed with the color red. There can also be said something about that whole life hands you lemons phrase and this being a blog about transition, etc. Yeah?

So that's the long involved answer. I just liked the title of a book I saw and stole it. I might revamp the blog soon. Would that confuse you all??

EDIT: Look what I just found!! I need this!!! "The Red Lemon"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Children's books will ALWAYS be more fun than therapy books... Always!! I bet they are more fun that Luther's Treatises, too. ;)