Tuesday, October 14, 2008

My Political Rant is most certainly about the RED and BLUE - Feel free to ignore... or comment!

Someone told me the other day that the crazies are coming out of the wood work. People actually chanting bad things about Obama at a republican convention?? I try not to watch too much news because it essentially depresses me to a point where I can do nothing but feel outraged (which is perhaps the point, I realize - but I'm at seminary, this is my little contribution to the shit the world finds itself in). I have to say, though, that I am frustrated.

Got a ridiculous email from a friend down in TN about how someone was going to be on the news to tell the TRUTH about Obama. Yup, the truth. Here's a selection for your amusement:
"HANNITY IS GOING BACK TO OBAMA'S EARLIER DAYS, SHOWING EVEN THEN HIS TIES TO RADICAL PROFESSORS, FRIENDS, SPIRITUAL ADVISERS, Etc., HE STATED THIS EVENING THAT HE WILL SHOW IN DETAIL HIS TIES TO REV. WRIGHT FOR 20+ YRS (which we all know) HOW HE WAS PARTICIPATING WITH THIS MAN, AND NOT FOR THE REASONS HE STATES!"

Yup. All caps. The entire email.... One last tidbit for you: "THIS IS SERIOUS,EVERYONE."

Really? I didn't think the election of the next president was serious. I thought it was a game in which I could pretend to be an absolute idiot and know nothing about the candidate I support.

Then my Whit sent an article that made me smile, finally. Someone outraged and more eloquent than I. Here, go read then come back to me. Go. Read.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alan-cumming/why-is-america-so-content_b_134325.html

Now I know that if you are a republican reading that, you were most likely offended. And for that, I'm sorry. I know Republicans think I'm blind, though. People keep telling me stories about Obama, 1) expecting me to believe them, 2) expecting me to believe that they make a difference in his ability to be president, and 3) expecting to change my vote. Nope. Sorry.

I am voting for Obama. You vote for whomever you want to. I promise I'll still be your friend. :)

What's worse? I assure you there are people who have no idea there is an election coming up or who the candidates are. Don't believe me? Journey back with me to Tuesday. I am out with my cousins and my new lil' 2nd cousin (or is he once removed?). So we journey into the eye store to check out new frames (yes, I am getting new glasses soon!!). Nate casually jokes that we should find ourselves a pair of Sarah Palin glasses. The clerk/attendant who is assisting our selection process says, "Oh, I don't know who that is. I don't watch much tv." She later adds, "Is she a designer? Or a model or something?" T, Nate, and I exchange glances. Who's going to tell this woman that she's not a designer but a VP nominee for the future president of the country YOU LIVE IN...? I think I finally mumbled something about her being the Republican VP candidate. The girl said "Oh..." but we aren't confident she had any clue who we were talking about.

It made me want to cry. At least my Republican friends have done their research and KNOW who Sarah Palin is and who her running mate is... even if they don't know her glasses. Ha. ;) (WINK!)

So my point? Let's agree to disagree. That's the whole point of elections. Just stop the bullshit slinging and go vote.

*Sigh*

4 comments:

Whitney said...

Watch some of the video I posted. By the way, Huffington Post is a great site... keep checking it out. I never thought that you and I would be siding with the "liberal intellegencia media" but now that just means you can think for yourself. :)

Kimberly said...

I love you.

I completely agree with everything you just said. I had a friend who was like, "Ya know... I just want Obama to be honest about his relationship (or not) with Ayers and Acorn. I think it's important to know about someone's past when they're running for president."

Okay. so... let's say Obama IS friends with Ayers. Is that going to have any affect on how he changes the healtcare system? Is that going to affect how he works on the economic mess? Is that going to affect his decision to take troops out of Iraq? NO! They (republicans) make it seem like Obama would be a terrorist in office and would help Al-Quaeda take over the US. Craziness.

None of that bullshit really matters in this election.

Unknown said...

Kim, it IS craziness. Ridiculous-ness, too. Glad you side with me, babe. Still jealous you got to see Obama, though. I live a few blocks away and I haven't seen him!!!

Whit, will add Huffington Post tab ASAP. As for thinking for ourselves, I keep thinking of the Derek Webb song, "A New Law" where he says, "Don’t teach me about politics and government. Just tell me who to vote for." Ha.

Unknown said...

Glad you're voting, and sorry you're upset about it, that's why I try not to get involved in that debate. For everyone concerned. Be careful taking everything huffington post says as truth, read the articles it gets it's info from. Sometimes they're right on, sometimes they're way off. Just like all media, we have to check up on them. I think that's the saddest part of elections. We can't just turn to the media and get the information we need, we have to listen, research, read, listen more, and pray that we know all that we should about the candidates.

PS. Adam's dad says he doesn't like Sarah Palin glasses because everyone has them now. You'd look cute in them, but you'd look cute in anything :) I miss you!