Monday, October 13, 2008

James Taylor is not RED, he is blue, but a happy blue

There has ALWAYS been something about James Taylor's songs and his voice that give me indescribable comfort. I've been saying for years that because of his song, "Sweet Baby James," I would name my own son James. I don't even think I realized when I was younger that the artist who sings Sweet Baby James was named James. It's a song about his nephew, I do believe. An amazing country cowboy lullaby that I will always love.

But there's so much more. And as I've grown up, James Taylor has stayed with me.

"We had to close our eyes. To cut up our losses into doable doses; ration our tears and sighs." That's from Never Die Young which I think is about true love. Actually, I think all of James' songs have something to do with true love, even if the truth of it is that it hurts. "There aint no doubt it no ones mind / That loves the finest thing around." Whether he is seeing some other couple in love, he himself is in love, or he's talking about home.

Then there's the Frozen Man which I originally thought was a silly subject for a song. But it celebrates life. One man's life. His story.
"I said angel of mercy I'm alive or am I dead?
My name is William James McPhee. I was born in 1823.
Raised in Liverpool by the sea, but that ain't who I am.
Lord have mercy on the frozen man..."
That's beautiful! Profound!

And from Carolina in my Mind, he speaks to my situation now:
"With a holy host of others standing round me,
Still I'm on the dark side of the moon.
And it seems like it goes on like this forever.
You must forgive me if I'm up and gone to Carolina in my mind."
Except replace Carolina with Tennessee. I REALLY miss Tennessee. Home.

And on days when the soul sits low, there's classic Fire and Rain,
"Won't you look down upon me Jesus
You got to help me make a stand
You just got to see me through another day
My body's achin' and my time is at hand
I won't make it any other way."
Or simply this one liner that breaks your heart: "Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground."

Then Copperline is another one about Carolina. About the unique nature of our homes. The traditions that no one can explain. Memories of firsts. And the great romantic James is, he sings, "First kiss ever I took / Stole a page from a romance book / The sky opened and the earth shook / Down on Copperline." Love it! Love him. And this line about home: "Tried to go back, as if I could."

What else? Ah, yes. A song that I only recently discovered by James. Starbucks decided to sell James Taylor's live concert album. A CD and DVD combo that I purchased for my Daddy for Christmas last year. The song is "You Can Close Your Eyes" and the words are incredible. I will leave you with them. Peace.

"Well, the sun is slowly sinking down, the moon is surely rising. This old world must still be spinning round, and I still love you.

So close your eyes. You can close your eyes it's alright. I don't know no love songs. I can't sing the blues anymore, but I can sing this song, and you can sing this song when I'm gone.

Well, it won't be long before another day, and we're gonna have a good time. No one's gonna take that time away, and you can stay as long as you like.

So close your eyes. You can close your eyes it's alright. I don't know no love songs. I can't sing the blues anymore, sure but I can sing this song, yes, and you can sing this song when I'm gone."

BONUS: He and Carly performing this song.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhh. JT. Still hard for me to listen to him, but not much beats Fire and Rain...... except maybe Rod Stewart doing Maggie Mae. James has a new album. check it out. http://www.amazon.com/Covers-James-Taylor/dp/B001D5DQCU/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1223942498&sr=8-1
KBW