Friday, October 31, 2008

Alison 2.0 is RED. And feeling fabulous.

So for months, years possibly, I have been excited about moving to Chicago, starting seminary, and beginning the next chapter. Though I was (and will be) scared to pieces with the thought of change, it has a way of giving blessings in strange and almost miraculous ways.

I am so happy here. Something about this past week has signaled that a change has taken place. Do you ever do that? Get so busy you don't notice that a change has occurred? Then you step back and go, wait! How'd that happen?

Well, Whit has affectionately termed this new me, this big adventure - "Alison 2.0."

I think there are both external factors and internal ones. Ones you could see and ones you couldn't. I think this is the case with all change, however. It permeates into every facet of your life. Right?

So, let me try to explain this update version, this Alison 2.0 to you.

I feel like I am exactly where I need to be. Like so much of my life has been leading up to this place at this time. What first comes to mind is being in Chicago on the eve of a very important presidential election in the same neighborhood where my hopeful is from. Why is this exciting beyond the obvious? ---I am finally getting into politics. As recent as a year ago, I hated them. Yes, I am using the word, HATE. Politics divided people and someone was always full of shit and missing the point. Why waste time arguing and going around in circles when it wasn't going to change anyone's mind? But, something changed. Something shifted. I actually enjoy talking to my TN friends who are going for McCain and discussing why they are excited about Sarah Palin. Maybe I have exceptionally unique friends in that we don't argue - we discuss - but I think a lot of it has to be on my side of things, too. Who would have ever thought I would have enjoyed politics??

The outward appearance of me has changed. Of course it is easy to see the glasses. Something about them however, and the coinciding shift into Chicago fall/TN winter has me feeling good about the way I look. I feel cute in my glasses. My hair is a good length. I am really enjoying playing with layers and looks and my scarves (though the shoe department is lacking at the moment in closed toed shoes). My fabulous roommate even told me she loves the way I dress. Let me make it clear - no one has EVER loved the way I dressed. Why? I never really cared. Well, I would care a few days out of the month. Funny how those were the days I got complimented on how I looked (no matter if I was dressed up or dressed for work - as long as I cared, I got noticed). So with the glasses, with the layering fun of a winter wardrobe, and slightly more positive outlook, I feel great. I also took the advice of my George friend and went shopping today with T. I got a really beautiful light purple scarf and an adorable red and black checked top at the Gap.

I will continue later with more updates on Alison 2.0. Thoughts and comments so far?

2 comments:

George Chaney said...

I have to met this new Alison 2.0. I wonder if I would like her. You have to know that any good new version of anything it has to be a .01 like Microsoft 3.1 or iTunes 8.1 so you have to be Alison 2.1

I told you spoiling yourself is always fun and good. You need to do it more often. Spoil yourself in other ways. But know that is is not always about you it is about me too. You should spoil me.....:)

We have to hang out net time you are down here.

Laura said...

I miss both of you two very much! (funny that one is a day away, and the other is 30 minutes)

I'm so looking forward to next time I see you 1L. I think you will still be the same wonderful friend even though you've changed in other ways.

Love you!
ps-I still HATE talking politics