Thursday, June 05, 2008

karaoke is not RED, it is white on a blue screen

"Part the seas, don’t be havin' me in the line. / V.I.P., ‘cause you know I gotta shine." -Fergie

This line is about me - for you see, I am a VIP.
I have special access. I am behind the velvet rope.
I have the "keys to anything" I want.
That's right - every Wednesday night... I am the s@%*!

For reasons I can never fully explain, I have become a VIP at a bar. Not just any bar, mind you... but a bar featuring billiards, (*free) booze and blue screens. Oh the beauty.

Yes, Wednesdays have brought a newfoundglory: karaoke. What's that you say? Yes, blue screens of beauty bearing lyrics I never would have guessed. I assume this is because, like MOST people, I fudge the lyrics to half the songs I sing. Also, in general, most people only know the chorus to songs. Or at least only know the chorus well enough to sing on stage. So my first night, I had no idea what half the lyrics were to Manic Monday. But believe you me, I was up there with Sarah singing my heart out. At least people can dismiss the whole charade because of alcohol. Oh, if only they knew....

It is an addiction. I admit that fully. Blu calls it my mothership. I tried to argue and found I had no debate. Karaoke was made for people like me. I used to be a theater person and that whole "being okay in front of crowds" thing never went away. I don't sing well, but I love to sing (generally in the shower, in the car, and occasionally in stores like hobby lobby). Karaoke and I go together like....

Wait. Aren't there song lyrics about this somewhere? We go together like rama-lama-lama-dinggity-ding-da-dong!! (Instanly I wondered if they have that song in the book....).

Of course, the thought remains.... maybe I only like karaoke at MY bar. One more thing to add to the "TO DO IN CHICAGO" list: become VIP at billiard club/bar/karaoke joint.

I'll keep you posted.


*free = "this one's on us" / "the next one's on us" - since booze technically cannot be free or there will be some serious VIP's after them...

No comments: