Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Trivial Pursuit isn't red, it doesn't even have a red piece (I promise it is orange)!

I'm giving up on trivial pursuits. No, not the board game (which, ironically, I am also quite terrible at). Let us define the terms and then discuss.

TRIVIAL: of very little importance or value; insignificant, common, ordinary

PURSUIT: any occupation, pastime, or the like, in which a person is engaged regularly or customarily (synonyms - chase, inclination)

And now we combine. What are trivial pursuits? Insignificant inclinations. Ways to pass the time that have little importance. So why, then, pursue? Why chase? This is my point.

If you have known me for five minutes, you know that I am a hopeless romantic. This tends to get me into trouble when it comes to the fellows. My friends and I have decided that we fall for the potential in guys. I admit this is terrible and is most likely just a euphemism for "fixing" our boyfriends. Let someone else post on that. What I'm saying is, I basically always have my eye on a guy. I am hopeful. Then it doesn't work (whether the guy is interested or not rarely plays into it). I move on. This cycle has repeated more times than I'm comfortable with. And I'm done. Done. No more trivial pursuits. No more GAMES.

Want to know the cheesy part? I have to keep reminding myself that I'm worth being pursued. Right? Why do we all love Pride and Prejudice (of which I just saw performed at Lee University and quite enjoyed)? "You must permit me to tell you how ardently I love and admire you." HELLO! It helps that is generally a very dashing gentleman performing the line, namely Colin Firth, but it is the words. That doesn't happen in real life! We don't get the luxury of romantic gestures. But it is the being pursued that I'm talking about. "If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes have not changed, but one word from you will silence me forever. If, however, your feelings have changed, I will have to tell you: you have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love, I love, I love you. I never wish to be parted from you from this day on." Alrighty. Try to resist Mr. Macfadyen saying that to you. Try.

So, world. Here's the question. Do I wait for romantic gestures? Do I wait to be pursued? Or do I wrap my head around a more practical, calm, simple version of love? Is it both?

Your turn to roll the dice -

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed our talk yesterday! I need more Alison time, though. Maybe next weekend will work out : )

~taren