Monday, May 02, 2011

Rejoicing

I will rejoice in breaths of spring on my face and in the flower beds...


I will rejoice at the resurrection of Jesus Christ....


I will rejoice at the new life that is promised through him....


I will rejoice as my medication begins to make me a healthier person...


I will rejoice in the comfort and love of friends and family...




But I cannot rejoice at the death of Osama Bin Laden. I will not. There is not hope in this death for me. While I understand that some see it as a mark of justice served, I turn my eyes upon a world that repays hate with hate. We are lost in poverty, death, injustice, hatred, debt, ignorance...


My friend Angela reminded me of this wonderful quote from Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

I totally feel the same way.