Saturday, September 04, 2010

Adventure Awaits

I've got silk in my teeth from the delicious sweet corn I just ate. I took a trip over to the farmer's market this morning and spent $50 on corn, bread, cherries, strawberries, zucchini, eggs, blueberries, peaches, and honey. I had an almost spiritual time with my local deliciousness while fixing some quiche, boiling the corn, and cutting up my veggies. I love local.

And speaking of local, I have almost survived two weeks here in Billings, Montana. The last few hours of the road trip here I was freaking out. There was nothing and more nothing for miles and miles and miles. I was thinking, "Oh my goodness. Here I am going to live further out west than anyone in my family ever has and very far away from all those family and all my friends. WHAT AM I DOING?!" And then I got into Billings and discovered civilization and neighbors and people making Hall's house beautiful for my arrival. And I was more at peace. Hard to be here alone but I'm adjusting just as I should be. I found Hall's radio/cd player/record player and use it to fill the silence. That helps tremendously.

My friend Kris from seminary lives here and has been showing me around Montana. we've been to Yellowstone, Cody Wyoming, Red Lodge, and Bozeman. What beautiful, beautiful country there is here. I know I thought this was in the middle of nothing but it is quite something in the middle of a lot of something else. I think that's the biggest surprise. I never expected it to be so beautiful. Then again, I've not been here through the winter and the farmer's are predicting it to be a rough one. So keep me in your prayers. Mail me postcards, letters, and packages full of love. I'm on an adventure of a lifetime!

No comments: