Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Inspiration

Well I couldn't sleep just yet. I tried. No luck. I just kept making up sermons in my head. One for my MIC site. One for my church back home. Messages about love and what home looks like.

But I couldn't sleep, so I got up and stumbled upon Brian Andreas' blog. He's the man behind StoryPeople. If you don't know StoryPeople, you should. But it wouldn't make his blog entry any less spectacular if you didn't know who he was. Just keep in mind that the beauty of his stories reflect the random beauty of life. He calls it into focus and it is sometimes quite profound. For instance, read this blurb from the blog...

We often forget that life is quite simple. We play, we talk, we sing & dance & make love. We fill the world with our stories & everything we touch with love comes alive. Everything we touch with love becomes a piece of our home.
(Read the whole blog here.)


Yeah, he's got a way with words. Here are some of my favorite StoryPeople stories (these are all one line long - the link takes you to the title on the StoryPeople site where you can "Add to [your] Favorites"):

"After all those years, she was nothing like I remembered, but my heart leaped across the gap anyway without a moment's hesitation." (link)

"connected by a silver cord that hums with sadness the further it is stretched" (link)

" You may not remember the time you let me go first. Or the time you dropped back to tell me it wasn't that far to go. Or the time you waited at the crossroads for me to catch up. You may not remember any of those, but I do & this is what I have to say to you: today, no matter what it takes, we ride home together." (link)

"Of course I want to save the world, she said, but I was hoping to do it from the comfort of my regular life." (link)

"As long as the sun shall rise goes the old lovers vow. But we are children of a scientific age & have no time for poetry. Still, I offer a quiet prayer of thanks for the sunlight each time I see your face." (link)

2 comments:

Brian Andreas said...

Dear Em,

Thanks for the lovely post & for a sense of who you are by the stories you chose. (That's the sneaky thing about stories. They really do say more about you than you might first think..) I'll look forward to reading how your life in Chicago unfolds...

with love, Brian

Emily Anne Carson said...

Girlfriend, you got a comment from Brian! DANG! SO AMAZING!

You are the coolest. I didn't know he had a blog. You are so beautiful and amazing.