Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Opposites Attract

The weather has turned sunny though it is still windy and cold here in Chicago. I know it was beautiful here this weekend... even though I wasn't here. I was enjoying the absolutely gorgeous weather in Tennessee and trying to tell my heart that it wasn't supposed to fall back in love with TN when I still had three more years before I could even hope for the possibility of moving back - if that is indeed where God is calling me.

For a while I wasn't sure I wanted to go back to the south. I didn't know I could go back to the buckle of the bible belt after spending four blissful years in an intellectual and spiritual haven that is this community for me. (Yes, it has been work so far and I expect more but I couldn't be happier to be here when I do that difficult work.)

That's when I really understood, however, that part of what God is forming me for is the synthesis of opposites (or things that appear to be opposites...). This is my ministry. This includes most apparently my desire for conversation between science and religion. I would love to sit on some hospital ethics board and remind the religious nuts that stem cells could heal all kinds of horrible diseases that people pray to be free from. I am fascinated by biomedical ethics. Simply fascinated.

Another huge opposite in my life is going to be this conversation between the north and south. Sure we went to war over it and brothers fought brothers and people died.... but I'm up for a challenge. I already have heaps of experience, right? Raised in the south by parents that were from the north... going to school in the north... after going to school in the south... and having family from the north... and still in the south... friends from all over...

I have been amazed hearing the difference of opinions in people about the presidential campaign and outcome, homosexuals in the church, and gun laws. Bringing what I've learned from the south to the north and then back again is so peculiar and profound. It is as if, sometimes, they are two different worlds and people are shocked I could believe what the other world preaches. Am I being corrupted, they ask? No, I'm being formed.

So I will be curious to see where I will be called to serve in 3 years in this great nation of ours. I only hope it isn't the west. I don't think I can take on the North, South, and WEST in one lifetime. Here's hoping God has plans that look like mine!!!

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Concerning science and religion:

Tim says he loves you. And wants me to write it on your blog.

:)

Unknown said...

Thanks Brooksies.