Wednesday, March 11, 2009

On beautiful words and themes

I just watched a rather remarkable and beautiful movie called Babette's Feast. I had heard of it before but had never seen it. I wanted to share a scene with you that I was quite moved by. It was poetic in its simplicity. He fell in love with Martina when he was younger but left. Now, he has seen her again many years later. Upon leaving that evening...

---------------------------------------------

Old Lorenz: [last words to Martina] I have been with you every day of my life. Tell me you know that.
Old Martina: Yes, I know it.
Old Lorenz: You must also know that I shall be with you every day that is granted to me from now on. Every evening I shall sit down to dine with you. Not with my body, which is of no importance, but with my soul. Because this evening I have learned, my dear, that in this beautiful world of ours, all things are possible.

------------------------------------

The movie dealt with issue, in a way, of physical things that transcend reality and become spiritual in a way. The things that move us and the things we call beautiful and lovely despite the ever brokenness of our shared world... and how, in the instances we catch that beauty, we are in awe. Lorenz had said earlier in the movie (at the younger age) that the world was cruel and unkind. So for him to say "this beautiful world of ours" is rather profound.

I think I'm going to like being old. Perhaps then I will be wise and poetic, too. ;)


(Update: I feel better!! My sinuses are draining. Ha! Now here's hoping it isn't just taking a day to shift into my ears!)

No comments: