Saturday, February 21, 2009

On West

I was upset when I heard I missed Cornel West preach at St. Sabina two weeks ago. So I found the audio to it. I'm going to take a few minutes out of reading about "A Black Pastoral Theology" and listen to the man who speaks truth about it in a much more present and real way than a book can (written in 2003...).

Listen with me: http://mirroronamerica.blogspot.com/2009/02/dr-cornel-west-unplugged.html

p.s. If you don't want to listen to the Cornel West clip, here's a quote from his sermon: "I'm just trying to love my crooked neighbor with my crooked heart." See why I love him?

And in talking about MLK and Obama, West says "Martin Luther (King Jr) wanted us to be lovestruck - not colorblind!" In otherwords, it isn't about NOT seeing color - it's about LOVING deeper. Hello! Don't erase someone's color in the effort to be colorblind - it won't work! Everyone has background and culture and skin color. The point is (and MLK made it a while ago), we aim to be a society that doesn't judge based on the color of skin, but on CHARACTER.

*Sigh* Cornel West makes me happy.

No comments: