Wednesday, January 07, 2009

"If you have a heart at all..."

I'm cynical. Well, mostly I'm optimistic and hopeful but I have my moments. This is the one I just had:

A forward going around about a woman's who's little boy's best friend has cancer and could you please sign this. She wanted to gather 1,000 signatures and then put it up for the little boy.

I was going to, I honestly was. Until I read the additional paragraph that I had not read before (as I assumed it was redundant). And I quote, "If you have a heart at all, you will sign this and pass it on."

Well now I most certainly will NOT sign this little prayer petition and pass it on. I'm sorry. Or rather, I'm sorry for her. If she wanted me to pray for that kid, that's fine. Sign a petition to show that I'm praying, that's fine. Great even. Good idea! Until she tagged it, "If you have a heart at all."

1.) You cannot GUILT people into praying for you. What kind of prayer is that?! That's not what my God is about. Yours?
2.) You should not GUILT people into doing anything for you... especially if you don't know them! Especially through an email!!
3.) Of course we all have hearts!!! NOT signing this little email forward does not mean that I don't have a heart (or the 800 other people who at some point or other in this chain's history have deleted it). If you want to call me a heartless brat for not forwarding it on, then so be it. I've still got a heart, though.

Thank you and good night.

4 comments:

Rebecca and Taylor said...

I love your heart.
Also, I love this picture of you!!
Also, I miss you. Hugs!!!
~beck

stephanie said...

i agree. people should not guilt others into praying for something like that. i've never forwarded an e-mail that says anything like "if you have a heart, you'll forward this..." because that's just dumb. or "if you believe in God, forward this."

i don't need an e-mail to tell me whether or not i have a heart or whether or not i believe in God.

you're not a brat.

well... maybe sometimes. ;]

luv u.

Bethany said...

yep. really dumb. i wouldn't have signed it either for the same reason.

Rebecca and Taylor said...

ps - Taylor and I really like the look of your "Theran School of Theology." Hope you're having fun up there!! ;)