Monday, October 20, 2008

Country Music tagged as cure for depression

So you may have realized that last week I was depressed. Missing home. Feeling a little heart broken. Behind on homework. The week just was not fabulous.

I couldn't tell you exactly what cured me... what liberated me from my funk. I did get to dance a little bit. I socialized. I turned in some homework. I got over my broken heart. I got mail.

...and I listened to country music.

I don't know what it is exactly about country music but I feel like it gets me. I'm not saying I love it all. Some of it ridiculous, twangy, and trite. But there's so much more to it than that. Sometimes, you need a little corny in your life. You need someone crooning at you and telling you that love is possible, believing in God is possible, and holding onto who you are is possible. Life is possible. "Every heartache makes you stronger! But it won't last much longer. You'll find love, you'll find peace, and the you you are meant to be. I know that's not the way you feel right now, but one day you will...." That'd be Lady Antebellum. Whitney sent me their cd. (God bless you, Whit.)

I'm not sure why I feel so at home listening to country music. It could merely be the attachment to Nashville and Tennessee that I will always have. Is country music just a piece of that? Well, you could argue that, I guess. But sometimes, those cheesy country lyrics and twang are just EXACTLY what I need to get through the day. I realize I'm a girl... and I'm a word person that loves lyrics... and my love language is words of affirmation.... but country music gets me.

Sort of like bad poetry? Sometimes you don't have the energy to see the depths and nuances of really amazing poetry. Sometimes you need simple straightforward words that say that roses are red and violets are blue. I love country music, how about you?

3 comments:

Whitney said...

I'm so glad you love Lady A, Al. I'd like to say that I don't think they are "country" at least to the standard definition. (Since I was a country-hater until recently.)

I love that their lyrics are more than "my dog died, my woman left me so i'm gonna sit here and drink some jack daniels"

My favorite Lady A lyric?

"Gone like the wind under Superman's cape, like a thief in the night I made the great escape"

Love you.

Unknown said...

I almost posted those lyrics as the cheesy lyrics that are nice and simple and that I love. Yay!!

And yes, they are country. Deal with it. :)

Laura said...

I thought your love language was touch... you know, Hug Lady!