Thursday, September 11, 2008

Insults are not RED, but my face might have been

"Come fill my bowl with some rock and roll or some fiddler who can play.... My life is an open book, every curse and every cheer. Some days shake me, some I shook, some days I count the years."
~The Mammals

Lyrics have been really hitting home lately. This song just played on my playlist and I thought I'd share the fabulous folk genius that is The Mammals (their myspace page). They opened for Nickel Creek when I went to see them at the Ryman with my dad. They have three albums, I think. I purchased their junior album though I loved a couple tracks off the sophomore album as well.

Anywho. Rough day yesterday. Just tired and blah on top of being spiritually stretched. Of course, the blah and weariness could have been a result of the spiritual stretching....

In class yesterday morning we were discussing Genesis 2&3. I was sort of arguing against this author, Westermann, that my professor really enjoys and got the answer back, "If that works for you." Which made me dislike the professor - until he added, "I want you to be able to think for yourselves. I'm merely providing the different points of view. You have to wrestle with it." So that was... interesting. Ha. It was an argument over the serpent in Eden being just a serpent, the smartest of eden's creatures, or satan. I happen to believe quite deeply that he was satan. Who else would be so vindictive?! I am also very likely influenced by the New Testament rendering of the creation story when it talks about the ancient serpent, SATAN, that tempted Adam and Eve. It could also have something to do with the fact that I wrote my senior thesis in part about Milton's Paradise Regained and buy into his vision of the events. Not entirely - but I can roll with it. So do I not have an open mind? Am I stuck in my ways? That's not good...

*Sigh*

Rough day. So glad this is a new one.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OH trust me. I know what it is.

I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU!!