Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Baby boys and grandpas are not RED, boys are traditionally BLUE!

That's my newest baby. That there sirs is the fabulous little 'tank' himself: Tyce Joseph.

Yessireebob, he is precious!

Was so nice to be at my surrogate home this weekend. Though I've found, it is funny the things that make me sentimental. I have been reflecting a lot lately on this new baby and my late grandfather.
I'll admit that I cried a little this weekend. I think it was a series of things, however that did it. It wasn't only driving away from my grandma's empty apartment. It wasn't only that she wasn't there. It wasn't only that she might never get to live in that apartment again. It wasn't even her friends out in the 'living room' asking after their dear friend. It wasn't even that she didn't have Papa there to support her.

See, I had made up my mind that I was going to find my grandparent's grocery store and get some 'Walnut' cheese (the place it is from is 'Walnut'... it isn't made with walnuts). And then I remembered that my mom loves their cake doughnut holes. So I figured I would stop in and grab those two things before heading back to Chicago.

I did stop by once I found it. Grabbed both items. Then it hit me. It was the weekend's stress, yes. But more than that, that particular grocery store was the location (I just accidently mistyped "love") of one of my last memories of my papa. I had just begun driving and he and agreed that I should drive us to the grocery store (and I must tell you, groceries were also important to him). He died later that year. He is also the "Joseph" that Tyce borrows his middle name from. So I am already very sentimental after having spent the weekend with family... with getting a new family addition... with seeing my grandma in a nursing home... with missing my papa... and then with having to do this all without my mother around. I cracked. I admit it. I wasn't sobbing or anything - I had to drive. But I was certainly again surrounded with the feeling or notion that family will always be HUGE in my life. Also, too, it is hard to be away from them. I mean away in all the varying senses of the word, too. I am here on my own (yes, with God).
Thankfully this melancholy did not last long. My old coffee shop manager called and we chatted for 25 minutes as I drove back to Chicago (eating my delicious walnut cheese, btw). So I guess I must continue to 'Praise God from whom all blessings flow.' I am so happy to have had Papa in my life, to have Grandma still, and to accept our newest bundle of love, Tyce Joseph. Thanks to my beautiful and wonderful family who makes each moment special in their own way with either words of encouragement, individual stories, memories, or sometimes, the quiet. I am truly blessed.

No comments: