Monday, August 11, 2008

Storage Units are not RED, they are bland gray concrete cells with spiders on the side

I feel like I haven't stopped moving for the last 5 years. And to a point, I haven't. I have moved once a year at least since starting school. My life has been lived in bins, bags, and cardboard boxes.

Home to Lockmiller. 8 months. Lockmiller to home. 3 months.
Home to Lockmiller. 8 months. Lockmiller to Little Blue House. 12 months.
Little Blue House to Girls House. 3 months.
Girls House to Laredo House. 17 months.
Laredo House to W's House and McUnit. 6 months.
W's House and McUnit to Home. 1 month.

and upcoming...
Home to Chicago - indefinitely.

I am just so tired of moving. Of packing. Of unpacking. Of repacking. Of sorting. Of throwing away things. Of being told to throw away things. Of finding trucks/vans to move in.

Needless to say. I'm over it. I can't wait to be done with school so I can settle into a home somewhere. Until then, I know that I am always welcome at mom's, dad's, my siblings, the W's, the Bell's, and on various other couches throughout the south... but I am ready to be where my stuff is.

Perhaps the message here to me should be something about letting go of all the junk. Of really and truly simplifying my life. Giving away all the things that I like to call "mine" and living on only what I need. The question of course is how to do this cost effectively so I'm not merely repurchasing newer models of things I've just thrown away (though that sounds appealing to me all on its own...). I told Whit that I am fearful that as soon as I throw away something, I will need it or someone will ask me, "Hey, do you have a smiley face dust pan? Blue dental floss? A tan rain coat? A cake stand? Blue nail polish? A salad spinner? Gold eye shadow? Aloe Vera gel? A heart shaped muffin pan? Cassette tape of the Cats Musical?" (Yes, I have these things.)

What do I do when I have to tell myself/them... "No" ?? *gasp* Must try this word sometime. Guess Chicago is as good a place as any to start. ;)

No comments: