Friday, August 29, 2008

Politics can be RED, but who really cares?

Watched the speech last night. Did you?

Our campus shares a neighborhood with Obama's house. Of course he hasn't been here for a while, but you can go by his house. Around the corner. Just over there.

So I was watching last night. Thinking how very blessed I am with the timing of my life. I come to Chicago a week before Obama's acceptance speech. I come to a campus open to a community of color, of women, and of GLBTQ. There's a hymn that goes, "All are welcome... all are welcome in this place." They mean the church. But it isn't often true.

I'm so glad to be at a place where acceptance is not merely a lofty goal for the next generation, but is a rule for today. No one said it would be easy, but we are doing our best to act like Christ. Who'd he hang out with? Yeah...

Anyway, I am glad to be in a diverse community at the same time that a man of color and a woman run for the office of president. What's even better? Though I know he is only human and that he will not be able to achieve all of his goals, his vision is one we can all lay claim to. We can all be a part of it. I'm not going around chanting "yes we can" or anything. But I am really, really excited that he might be president.

Oh, I actually clapped at one point in Obama's speech last night. I think this is one of the most beautiful things he said about his grand plan for CHANGE:

"One of the things that we have to change in our politics is the idea that people cannot disagree without challenging each other's character and each other's patriotism. The times are too serious, the stakes are too high..."

AMEN.

Jump on board. Otherwise, you will most certainly miss the boat.

I loved what one of my professors said about the upcoming election. Basically, we have a lot of work to do. We have a lot of work to do if McCain wins... and we have a lot of work to do if Obama wins, too.

I'm so glad I get to be here... NOW.

No comments: