Thursday, July 03, 2008

Toddlers are not RED, unless they're covered in paint... and then you have a problem

I absolutely adore the 3.5 year old that I live with. She says the most hilarious things. Asks the strangest, yet to the point, questions of anyone I know (including other three year olds). Haven't you heard that any great philosopher can be disproved by a three year old asking, "Why?" on repeat? It is so true. "Why?" to questions that can only be answered, "God made it that way" or "Just because." So frustrating on my half of things because I wish I could explain more. Par example:

Watching Aladdin: "Why is it a volcano cave?"
Listening to Music in the car: "Why is this song louder than the last song?"
Eating breakfast: cereal "Why is this a square?"

I also LOVE the way she prays. LOVE it. So simply pure and -- well, simple. She thanks god for the sunshine and the rain, for my friends at the coffee shop, for her stuffed bunny, for every member of her family (including me). Whatever is in her minds comes across in prayer and I adore her lack of filter. Why sometimes it isn't the most flattering prayer about those around her, sometimes it is shockingly beautiful.

This of course goes for random comments she makes as well. Today, driving, I honked at someone who cut me off and said they weren't paying attention. She asks me, "Were they on their cell phone?" I couldn't help but laugh. And just now, addressing a letter to my brother, she asks if I'm doing that because I love him. She likes to tell people that other people love them. It's a big deal lately. She told her parents at the dinner table matter of factly last night that I loved them. Too great!! (And of course I do love them, but I love that she picks up on it, too). Then again, I am also secretly afraid that she will burst out my affections for a certain someone in front of him and find me turning all shades of red. Alas...

I guess that's all I got. Everyone have a happy fourth of July. I've got a little less than a month left in Chattanooga and it is already breaking my heart. :(

No comments: