Saturday, June 14, 2008

Nikki's wedding was not RED, it was White, Blue, and Black

...and it was so classy! I loved it. Delightful. The minister even screwed up and asked Adam if he wanted to take Lisa's hand in marriage. Apparently the last couple he married had a Lisa. Of course we ALL. Nikki looked gorgeous; Adam looked dashing and handsome. They couldn't stop smiling. It was adorable.

This is my second wedding of the season. And I think my new favorite part of weddings is the style. I think as we get a little older, we tend to have our very own sense of style and it comes across very well in the wedding. Starting back at my friend Katie's and all the way up to today, there have been bits and pieces that simply scream out that this is ----'s wedding. My friend T wore pink high heels with her tea length wedding dress and had all brunch food. J and C walked down the aisle to contemporary tunes and made their local wedding a destination wedding at the same time. Classy. Today Nikki and Adam decked out their wedding party, tables, etc. in black and blue. It was so lovely! Polished. Put together.

....with a little something extra that was completely evocative of the couple.

I LOVE IT! Of course, with every one I go to I tuck little ideas away for my very own wedding. So sad isn't it? To plan a wedding and not even have a groom in mind? Ah well. Girls get the excuse that we've been planning these things since our infancy. I don't know about infancy, but I have said since I can remember that I want strawberries at my wedding. Just my husband and strawberries. Those are my requirements. But... since being a bridesmaid twice, a maid of honor once, living with two brides-to-be, and attending at least a half dozen other weddings, I've been planning. The list has grown.

So for your very special enjoyment, here are my plans thus far.
*Strawberries. They don't even have to be dipped into chocolate. Or on top of a cake. Just need them to be there.
*We will not be wearing a traditional tux and gown. Whatever we wear, expect it to be not typical. Well this "not typical" idea might be the theme of the wedding... I am thinking I want some style of dress that is a vintage cut or something Austen-like. Can I get a style like my grandma's and do my hair in that cool flip thing? I so want to...
*We will be hearing music of the Frank Sinatra/Dean Martin variety. There will be dancing. This will be music you can dance to... and you WILL dance. My husband or I will make you dance with us. No exceptions.
*It will be small. By the time I get married, my friends and family will be so OVER weddings, that I assume only my closest friends and family will attend. You will not offend me if you do not come so long as you send along a card bearing congrats or give me a call later to tell me congrats. These are acceptable options. These are the only acceptable options.
*BLACK. WHITE. RED. These are my colors. I'm not deviating. NO pink. That will just not go over well. I watched the Trista and Ryan wedding prep show the other day and almost threw up at her deep attachment to the color pink. I want it to be classy, not girly.
*It will be a party. You should not be bored and you should never think "just another wedding" or feel like leaving. We will party until I drop. (Is it okay to say until I drop??)
*Simple food. Strawberries. Cake. Punch. Champagne. Want more? I might be talked into other things. Other variations of sweet... or strawberry. ;)
*Back to the black, white, red theme.... I want everyone to wear black, white, or red. Is this an outlandish request? Too demanding? Guess it'll keep the attendance down. I said small, right?
*I will find a way to incorporate stars into my theme. Should I add silver? That's like grey, right? Which is like black and white..... (?)
*We will sing at the ceremony. Expect to sing. There will also be a sermon-ette. Brace yourself for a realistic look at marriage. When I decide to do this, it will not be a fluttering eyelashes lovey dovey thing. I recognize that it will take work... and GOD to make the marriage. I get it.
*I won't stop smiling.

I guess that's it for now. I am sure I've forgotten something. You'll just have to come to the wedding and see for yourself. ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

any thoughts on flowers?

the silver and stars work, but i might be a little biased.

love ya, miss ya
kariberry

Unknown said...

oh, good question! something white I think. someone was talking about a flower that is named star something??

i miss you too doll.

Christine W said...

you gotta be careful on saying you're going to incorporate gray because it's black + white b/c white + red = pink, and you very clearly said there would be none of that :)

you know i had to point that out - it's the way i think!

anyways - i miss you already and you haven't even left - when are we hanging out? soon? ok, good!