Thursday, April 24, 2008

Baby Showers are Green and Yellow when the baby's a surprise

Surprise Party #1 = SUCCESS!!!!
Surprise Party #2 = failure...

Well... at least I got one out of two? Apparently planning two at once is nice in one respect because it makes it a total shocker to the person who assumed it was the second person's party. (If that didn't make sense... welcome to the last month of my life). Otherwise, it is no good.

L was totally surprised. Walked up to the house the party was at and asked why there were only Starbucks people out (where were all of R's other friends?). I had to put my arm around her and say, "L, dear... this is all for you. R's not even coming tonight. Surprise!" before she even started to get it. Then she walked through the front door to turn and see her husband waiting for her (he was supposed to be at work). She was delighted and overwhelmed. Basically... she was adorable.

Games we played:

Feed the Baby: Four teams of two raced to feed each other a jar of nasty organic baby food. Impressive how into it the teams got.

Tummy Wrap : We cut off ribbon the length we thought Ls belly would be. Even L did! I joked as people were cutting off the ribbon that I would win because I hug her so much. Then I won. They all thought I was cheating....

Baby's First Meal : One bowl in the center of the table. Lots of cotton balls around it. One spoon. One blindfold. Object of the game? Get as many of those cotton balls into the bowl as you can in one minute. You don't feel anything because the cotton balls are so light. It was HILARIOUS.

Playdough Baby Contest: Everyone teamed up and the playdough was distributed. The clock started ticking. Then when time was up, we presented L with our little playdough babies. They looked... like aliens. The playdough baby with the outie belly button and little curl won her heart though. Yay!

Tinkle Relay Race: I don't know the real name of this game. It is supposed to make fun of the preggo of the party having to go to the bathroom constantly. We had three teams relay down a narrow hallway with a quarter between their knees. Destination? A very small pail at the end of the hallway. If you dropped it, you had to go back. It was wonderful bumping into each other and dropping your quarter every other step. I was so glad I wore a skirt!

Poopy Diapers: For the parents to be, we grabbed ten candy bars and melted them into newborn diapers (SOOOO SMALL!!). They had to nibble at the "poo" and guess the flavor. Those pictures are priceless...


So it was fun. But I am so glad it is over and I can stop lying outright to one of my best friends. That's rough! No one ever told me that about surprise parties. But I digress... I leave tomorrow for the big bad interview. So now my energy shifts there. Send prayer. :)

No comments: