Friday, June 22, 2012

Getting a Call

I realize I have been lax about updating as regards my getting a call. My apologies!

The way this works: I have been assigned to the South Central Wisconsin synod. That means I will likely get a call in the greater Madison area. In this particular synod, they give a church a handful of names for an open position. Other synods may only give one name at a time. There are advantages to both methods.

I got paperwork for one church, met with the pastor, and had a Skype interview with the call committee. They opted not to meet me face to face. I was somewhat disappointed but ultimately knew that that particular church was not the best fit for me. Perhaps they recognized this as well?

Then while in Germany, I got another set of paperwork for a church in Madison. Since I could not do that interview in person, I set up a Skype interview for 2am my time! After the internet at that particular hotel ran out 2/3 of the way through their questions, I felt already that it would be a good fit. I enjoyed the people I spoke with and appreciated their questions of me.

However, by the time I got internet back to figure out how to answer their remaining questions and to ask the few that I had, the lead pastor had contacted me to tell me that they were offering the position to someone else. This was preceded and followed by very complimentary things about me which was nice.

So now I wait. I've scheduled a meeting with my Bishop to see what else might be available in the synod, to touch base, and to get a sense of a timeline. There's no guarantee's, of course, which can be frustrating. But that's the job market even beyond the church so I really have no room to complain!

Keep me in your prayers (and thank you for your prayers). I am trying to keep the "but what's so wrong with me" at a low level and in check. Rejection in any case is difficult, very much like dating, ironically...

I keep breathing and try to remember that God is at work.

3 comments:

Julie & Jeanie said...

Alison--
Oh the waiting is so hard! I personally, can't wait for you to be a pastor. I can only imagine how it is for you to be waiting. Turns out though, you are already doing amazing ministry.

We're praying for you, and that next time the technology works with perfection. And that the right place comes along SOON.

Love you,

Julie & the Rockstar

Anonymous said...

You have a great attitude and I'm sure God has a great plan in store for you!

Karen KL

Nikki said...

I know it's not your first choice, but we checked out a house we liked online last night with a "
Nanny suite." ;). You are fabulous, you just have to be patient for an equally fabulous opportunity to come your way!