Sunday, November 07, 2010

Spiritual Warfare Part Two (or Three?)

I spent the week wondering and sorting through my feelings on this spiritual realm issue. Though odd things kept happening through at least Thursday afternoon, I had a series of very helpful discussions and revelations.

To begin with, I have heard people talk about the devil attacking more the closer a person gets to God. And though I can see some biblical basis for that if we twist the story of Job, I don't believe in that. The idea that we get attacked simply because we are drawing closer to God is ridiculous. Instead, I think in terms of opening myself up to the divine. As I grow deeper in my spiritual life, I take the bad in with the good. As I open myself up to Holy Spirit, it makes sense that I'd begin to understand the darker side as well as the light.

And instead of thinking of it as warfare which would mean I'm on a battlefield daily, I choose to think of those darker forces as a part of creation. Not something to fight against and struggle with but to accept. They're there. They're around. Scriptures tell us they recognize Jesus. And in the demoniac, Jesus is merciful to them. This is not a battle scene.

So I accept that those forces (or whatever you'd like to call them) are there but I'm not fighting against them. My supervisor suggested I simply remind them they're part of God's mysterious creation. I'll let you know what the results are.

Already I can assure you I am much calmer. I'm sorting out what to do with this new addition to my life and weighing it against the overwhelming presence of good that is already alive there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alison,
I would suggest that it is indeed a battlefield. I think we have Eph 6 to confirm that. However, that said, we also know that we are on the winning side. The solution to being triumphant in all things is to be sure that Eph 6 armor is firmly in place.
I also think that Satan will attack with more zeal if you appear to be wavering in your faith. Sometimes in periods of spiritual growth, we are also looking over our shoulders at what we are leaving behind. He doesn't want to lose you, and so he'll use this time of unsteadiness to try to unseat you. I've seen great attacks of temptation, illness, or other 'distractions' - especially to new Christians. Scripture tells us that if we flee from him and submit to God, he can't "get" us. But, if like Lot's wife, we look back, we'll get entrapped.
I worry about an attitude that accepts darkness and evil as part of the scenery. Without an awareness of the battle and an effort to repel sin in your life, it can easily slip in.
This is not to say that you should be anxious and worried. The battle is the Lord's. Just stay suited up and on the battle field. Satan has no power against us if we are truly in the Lord's army.
So, yes, there is evil in the world. And, no, you can't get rid of it. But please, please, keep your eye on it!
I love you,
Aunt Lisa

Nikki said...

much love darling! Follow your heart, and it will show you the way towards all that you want to be and how to deal with the rest!