Monday, September 27, 2010

Blank Stares and Smiles

Last Monday: hell.

This Monday: heaven.

Is this ministry? Is this working with elderly? Is this being 25 in the middle of Montana on internship to become a pastor?

... all of the above?

Last Monday that wonderful woman who shared her life story with me didn't remember me at all. Not even my face. She had no idea who I was, what I was doing there, or that she had shown me her apartment and talked with me the week before about life and love.

Let's just say that was a bit of a blow. Unexpected but yet, completely understandable. How do you do ministry when you cannot build relationships in the traditional sense? So I'm rethinking ministry and relationships and how I relate to elderly. Some of my cheerleader/happy-go-lucky/sunshine qualities are serving me well. Other times, of course, the elderly look back at me like "SHUT UP STUPID YOUNG GIRL." (Yeah, last Monday again.) Other times, they look back at me and beam with the brightest smiles you've ever seen.

Can I blame it on the moon?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hi friend!
i spent the whole summer doing an internship with the elderly--if you ever want ideas of helpful books to read i have a couple suggestions, so just let me know! (and I, too, had those disheartening days where people don't remember you and you're unsure about how to do this ministry. But i also have some wonderful stories, so keep the faith--you are doing God's work even when it doesn't feel like it!)