Saturday, August 14, 2010

Julie and Julia

I'm sitting here on my mother's couch watching Julie and Julia which incidentally combines two things I love - writing and cooking. Writing is an old love. Cooking is a new love. I think most of this is formed by being in community with people who are passionate about food. And not just any food. Fresh food. Local produce. Homemade deliciousness.

Think about how many ways we daily cut corners for convenience, time saving, and efficiency. Parmesan cheese already grated in a plastic bowl. Pre-chopped carrots and tomatoes. Whip cream in a tub or a can.

So this year, surrounded by the influence of people making brownies from scratch and their own whip cream, cooking with freshly chopped vegetables and making their own tortillas, I got inspired. So I started cooking without cutting corners.

Let me tell you - the difference is astounding. My first quiche had pre-made refrigerated crust, cubed ham, canned veggies, and pre-shredded cheese. It was bland and barely passable. My latest had home made wheat crust, fresh veggies, chicken that I cooked and cubed, and two different kinds of cheese that I shredded from blocks. It was FANTASTIC.

And I think part of it is that it is so much FUN to do all of this: to shred my own cheese, cut corn off a cob, and cook a breast of chicken in its own little dish (a former fear of mine was cooking chicken). I got the experience the JOY of cooking and I think it must come across in the actual food. What is that about?

I am not completely naive. I realize I am blessed to even be able to find and afford fresh food and sometimes organic or local food. I am blessed to have some time to set aside and prepare a dish for people I love. I am blessed to be able to have a home to cook it in. I guess I'm trying to live into my blessings?

... and it gives me deep joy to do so. So yay for fun movies about blogging and cooking. And yay for old and new loves.

Dive in dear friends. Dive into your blessings.

No comments: