Monday, October 26, 2009

Self Help Books

So generally, I'm not a fan of self help books. I'd rather talk to a human. I'd rather just live life and see what happens instead of taking someone else's experiences as proof.

I say that to say that my wonderful mother keeps finding and giving me these amazing books on dating that I can't help but devour despite my skepticism... because they're so amazing.

So for your joy and because it is worth rereading, here's an excerpt from "If the Buddha Dated" by Charlotte Kasl that seemed to follow up my last post so nicely.

"Giving and receiving help us enter the river of spirit that connects us to each other. To give to others is to feel the joy of creation spilling from us. To receive is to be humbled, to shed our ego and allow another person to penetrate our barriers. We let them know they matter to us, they affect us. Our receptive heart becomes a gift to the giver. When love pierces our hearts, tears may rise because love flushes out anything that is buried." (ch. 28)

The book does add a little much of the "river flowing" for my tastes, but it says so much good stuff that I'm happy to indulge the author.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"When love pierces our hearts, tears may rise because love flushes out anything that is buried."

Maybe this explains why ever since things started happening between my new boyfriend and I have gone from being a crying twice a year kind of gal to being able to let it out over anything I need to. So cathartic, I guess, to be able to cry more.