Monday, January 05, 2009

On New Things... to go with the New Year

So I really wonder what has come over me. Last new years wasn't like this. Well, maybe. I was packing to begin my adventure with the W's and planning my years at seminary. So... perhaps. But NOT like this year has been so far. Of course we are only a few days in... but that is entirely beside the point.

To start with, I reorganized my room - again. I like to do it. Makes the small space feel more livable. That and I brought boxes of stuff with me and the room needing revamping anyway. It is all sparkly clean aside from some random "stuff" boxes that have to exist because there is no home for their contents - yet.

So, for you, a tour of my *new* room. Or an introduction to it since most of you have never seen it. :)

First of all, a slice of my bed, the main door to my room (beware, there are three doors!), the bookshelf from Karen, my yoga mat, and then my shoe tree filled with scarves, hats, hippo, and gloves. I got tired of draping scarves all around the room or taking up precious space on my coat rack that goes over my closet door. So when I was scanning the aisles at the ever fabulous Target, I thought, "I could put a scarf in each pocket!!" - That and I was also looking for a place to put my hat, my gloves, and the detachable hoods from my winter coats. Voila!! And even Hippo and my Valentine's bear from my fiancee (Nikki, who is, of course, married now to Adam) got a little nook to call their own.

You will also notice that cluster of stars. So like me, isn't it? Yes, I know. I'm predictable. But hey, they make me happy. Oh! It is the season of Epiphany at church now so we are talking about the baby Jesus and the wise men finally arriving, etc. They read one of my favorite biblical star lines during the service: "And when they saw the star, they were overjoyed." Man, those wise men were wise! So really... I'm just following in their footsteps by liking stars. Right? Ha!

Continuing the tour...


Yes, this is my closet. It is quite large, in fact. It helps make up for the tiny bedroom. Haha. I decided it needed to be its own little nook - thus helping my room feel larger. So I reorganized it. You should note several things: 1.) Shoes that I actually use are in the shoe hanger thingy = no shoes on the floor! 2.) My star tray table from Kari will now hold my hobby things. They have a home!! This is for knitting and... wait for it... GUITAR!!!! Do you see the guitar case? Yeah, Janai lent me her 2nd guitar to learn on and I'm teaching myself to play. Bizarre, I know.

3.) On the far left, my *new* bathrobe, towels, an apron and various pjs hang on the over-the-door-hook-thingy. 4.) What you can't see? On the other side of the door is rack to hold my coats and purse. I seemed to have a small problem putting jackets next to clean towels before. It just creeped me out a little. :) This is a much better situation.

Let's see what else I can take a picture of... Oh! My desk/dresser wall!

What you may not be able to see is a fish bowl. Yes, that's right. Michael came back with me to Chicago!! He's over a year old. What a good little Beta fish...

Also, that is NOT a Starbucks cup sitting by my laptop. Of course, if it were.... you should know that it only has one pump of caramel syrup in it in compliance with being healthy. So basically its some soy milk, 30 calories worth of caramel goodness, and decaf espresso. I'm being good; I promise. :)

My desk chair is wrapped in a fabulous blanket from my fabulous coffee shop customer, Jennifer. The chair is actually a stained 70's mustard yellow. It needed some love...

So that's a little tour. My radiator is directly to the left of my desk and then directly to the left of that is the window on the next wall. That wall has my mirror and then the door to the little porch-nook-thing that we use only for storage because it's freezing and it leaks dust droppings from the ceiling. Creepy!! Other people who have better setups use it as an office or a little library. Quite cool, actually!

Okay, it's getting to be dinner time. Niveen made lunch (spinach something or other with lemon salt over rice - yum!). So, I'll be making dinner!! Oh, here's my fabulous roommate, Niveen. :D

3 comments:

George Chaney said...

I like the tour but you need to have more Starbucks stuff and I also think you use the word "Thingy" too often in your post. Thingy's have names you know... :)

Kimberly said...

Your room is adorable. And might I say that my favorite thing of all is your incredible organization of the scarves in the shoe thing! What a great idea! I'm WAY proud.

Unknown said...

Mom, HUG!!

Georgie, I did say THINGYS a lot. But it is only because I don't know their names!! I also used the word, NOOK a lot, don't you think?

Brooksie, Thank you!! I quite love it. I felt quite genius for coming up with the idea and it is working quite fabulously so far. Should you ever move north, I will lend you my scarf-holding-former-over-the-door-shoe-rack-thingy patent. :D