Monday, September 08, 2008

Groceries can be RED, and heavy, and bulky...

MY OVEN WORKS!! Well, actually, I am 100% positive that it does not... because they gave me a new one! Not a NEW one, but one that works and isn't actually as new as the last one. But hey, it heats up my food so I can eat it and for that, I thank God.

On a side note, one of my roommate's most common catch phrases when something goes right is "Thanks be to God!" Very fast. It cracks me up. I love it. So when she walks into the apartment tonight and I tell her "We got a new oven!!" She will declare, with her hand over her heart, "Thanks be to God" with a sigh of relief.

I was so excited about the oven that I made quiche AND cookie bread. I was also going to attempt twice baked spaghetti tonight from Whit (one of my favorites), but alas, there is not enough room in my little fridge for the leftovers. For once, I have too much to eat!

Thanks be to God. And God bless ovens. And pasta.

In other news, there is a major downside to living in the city: grocery shopping. There is a little local produce place about three blocks away which is all fine and dandy if you are picking up produce or the occasional expensive cheese, pasta, meat, etc. They have other things... just not a wide selection and at a greater cost to you. So alas, I don't shop there very much. I shop at Treasure Island which is just like Publix. They are all very helpful there and the selection is wonderful. Of course, they aren't cheap, either. They are better than the produce place.

So what sucks? That to do any reasonable amount of grocery shopping, I have to drive to Treasure Island for it is around... 8 blocks away. Or more. I'm not quite sure. Then of course, there is never parking in front of my place. Regardless, I park in the parking garage underneath campus. So I have to walk about a block anyway and then up three flights of stairs to bring the groceries in (four if you count the one I walk up to get out the parking garage).

I have GOT to find a better system for groceries.

Maybe it will be better once I actually have a stocked kitchen. I got chicken, mayo, lemon pepper, and craisins to make chicken salad. See? I remembered to get lemon pepper and mayo. Of course, I forgot the pickle relish and the lemon juice. And then I don't have traditional salt and pepper.

It goes on and on, trust me.

Just got the quiche out. It cooked for about an hour. Is that normal? Or was my quiche just very deep? I know nothing and it is so sad...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i need to know more about this said cookie bread...it sounds amazing

Unknown said...

Whitney has sworn me to secrecy!!!! It is quite amazing though...

Laura said...

I also would like to hear about this cookie bread. Cookies are wonderful things and bread is a wonderful thing... together, I can only imagine. :)

Unknown said...

Mom,
I'd love G'ma's spices. You think she's all done with cooking, though? Or those that visit her? I'm not sure about pots and pans. I have to see what's she's got. See you soon!

L,
I've got Niveen addicted to them. They are super delicious. I had two pieces today. Maybe I can share with just you and Kari...