Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Biltmore is not RED, Vanderbilt isn't either!


I haven't formed the words to describe Biltmore in my head yet... because I don't believe there are words. It is just me looking around, saying "wow" on repeat, and looking at dad with eyes that say "really?!?!!"

At the same time, it is incredibly peaceful. George Vanderbilt did a phenomenal job with the help of his architect, Richard Morris Hunt, and his landscape architect, Frederick Law Olmsted. It is simply breathtaking. What is sad is that it was not a family house for very long (opened Christmas eve 1895 and then was opened to the public in 1930). I love that Cornelia (George and Edith's only child) and her husband (John Francis Amherst Cecil) opened it up to the public, but at the same time, I mourn the loss of it being a family residence. Apparently, they did so at the request of Asheville's city leaders to boost tourism after the depression. Their son now owns the home and his son is the President and CEO of Biltmore. The gal that did our tour today said William, Sr. still comes by the estate. So funny to have been in the room that he and his brother and also his mother in 1900 were born (and sad to know that the tradition couldn't continue)!

Actually, I really like the Vanderbilts. I was expecting to be a little disgusted at the lavishness of the house and grounds... but am quite pleasantly happy to be here and hear the stories. They constantly had company. Their friends were coming and going all the time. They wanted this to be a place of respite from the chaos of the city. One of the comments on the tour was about the absolute quiet that would have been here. Imagine rocking on the back porch, with that view filling up your eyes, and a peaceful stillness in your ears. Incredible.

One of the best parts was the Halloween room and the nonsense book. You can tell these people had fun. Cornelia took guests one night down to the basement when it was too cold to go outside. They painted the walls! No one really knows the stories behind the pictures but it is certainly evident that they had a good time. I wish I could find a picture of it for you.

By the way... really odd to not have a camera at my side though in a way it is freeing to not have to snap up pictures of places to share later. Would have been nice when we were on the highest balcony of the biltmore though. Ah, perhaps the people we took the tour with will send me some. I'll certainly post what he e-mails my way. ;)

Gotta get ready for dinner. More tomorrow...

No comments: